5/19/2010

Some impressions of Empire Diner friends...

... read more after the break ...

dear empire staff,

there was a time when the Empire was not yet the world's most famous diner. probably no one there now remembers the winter of 1977, when 2 'starving' musicians came is regularly at 2:30 am after the Village bars had put us out on the street. we came often for early breakfast. and then, once we got the know the crew we gradually insinuated ourselves into the vicinity of the piano, then located down at one end of the counter. it was a fine instrument too. a Kawai upright in good tune. after a bit it became our habit to jam for whoever was left hanging around until 4 or 5. then home to bed. my buddy's name is Steve M.
. he played guitar, and i played that piano. i'm not sure if our efforts were appreciated or just tolerated, but we were left alone, which was enough for us. over several months we really tuned up our repertoire.

that winter was an especially difficult time for me. i had returned to NYC after many years, and NY wasn't ready for me yet. [ it's still not :-) ] the following year i moved to southern NH and stayed there for 14 years. the Empire faded into history for me.

but i write today to express my gratitude and to wish you all well. there was a moment when the Empire diner provided a temporary 'home' for me during one very cold NY winter, when i was hard pressed to find one anywhere else in the big apple.
many thanks [ from a heart you helped to warm up ]

very best regards.

Kendell K.

########################################


Hi

I just wanted to share my thoughts, I have been enjoying my Chili Sundae since the days I used to work at The Roxy Roller Disco.

After I would get off of work at 3:00 am I would come over and have that with the Sour Creme Apple Pie,

Now flash forward 30 years and I would take my son and Nanny in to enjoy the same Chili Sundae, and they

enjoyed the burgers with Brownie Sundaes for Dessert.



Today My Son Maxwell and myself are very sad.

We will always have the fondest thoughts for The Empire Diner and the Staff


Regards


Elyse & Maxwell R.


########################################


In 1979, I moved from Berkeley into the apartment building next door to the Empire (yes, the one with EAT painted on the side). My roommate and I went there all the time and split many a "brownie all the way" late at night. At the time, it was just a great place to go with a very cool clientele (at least from the perspective of a grad student living in NYC for the first time).

I only lived there one year, but I developed a real attachment to the Empire and came back as often as I could over the years when I traveled to NYC. I sent many friends there to get a real local experience and loved it every time the diner made an appearance in a movie or TV show.
Can't believe it won't be there next time. Like so many others, it just seemed to be one of those places that would always be there to provide an anchor for every subsequent trip. We're going to NYC this summer and I had already planned to take my teenagers to show them where I lived and to stop in at the Empire. I just saw the note on its closing in the NYTimes. Time passes, things change; there are no more Italian Ice guys in the West 90s, so few slice places left in Manhattan and now no Empire Diner.
Congrats on a long run.